Vegetables: So easy to prepare, but also so easy to ruin. Grilling vegetables is one of our favorite ways to prep for a flavorful summer, and with Chef Eric’s tips for preparing vegetables his way, you’re certain to have grilled vegetables on the menu all season long
Grilled Vegetables 101
2 Each Squash
2 Each Zucchini
1 Each Yellow Onion
1 Each Red Bell Pepper
2 Tbsp Lane’s BBQ Scorpion Seasoning
½ Cup Ginger Maple Miso
¼ Cup Bourbon
1. Stabilize your grill at 500-600F and set up for a direct cook.
2. Cut the squash and zucchini into ¼” lengthwise so you have spears. Cut the onions into ¼” disks. Trim bell pepper.
3. Slightly oil and season vegetables for better heat transfer (do not over oil).
4. Place the squash, zucchini, onion disks and bell pepper on the grill grate. Sear each side for 1 to 2 minutes to slightly char and slightly soften. Then, char all vegetables on all sides at a high heat without overly softening. Transfer all vegetables to a cutting board. Slice all vegetables into large bite size pieces.
(At this point, you can season and serve or continue to “Grilled Vegetables 102” as seen below and in the video. I used a cast iron griddle; if you do not have one, you could use a large cast iron pan)
Grilled Vegetables 102
1. Using the cast iron griddle, ensure your surface is 500F+. Lay out the charred and trimmed vegetables onto the griddle for a final sear. Season the vegetables with the Scorpion rub 1 more time, roll the vegetables on the hot surface then pour over the Ginger Maple Miso to glaze. Allow the sauce to slightly reduce.
2. (Optional Flambe: Making sure everyone is away from the grill, very carefully pour ¼ Cup Bourbon not from the bottle over the vegetables for a final glaze. Be sure to not burn yourself or others! Allow the bourbon to flambe then reduce for 1 minute. As soon as the flames are gone, use 2 spatulas to toss the veg in the reducing glaze (For the Bourbon, I Prefer “Smooth Ambler”)
3. Using the 2-spatula method, transfer vegetables to the presentation platter and serve hot!
2 Tbsp Shiro Miso or White Miso
1 Tsp Lemon Zest
½ Cup White Wine Vinegar
¾ Cup Pure Vermont Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Brag’s Amino Acid
2 Tsp Ginger, Minced
1½ Cups Blended Oil
¼ Tsp Kosher Salt
Combine all except oil in a food processor or mixing bowl. While whipping or processing, slowly incorporate the oil to create and emulsify.
Where to Buy:
Lane’s BBQ Scorpion Seasoning: https://lanesbbq.com/products/scorpion-combo-rub
#kamadojoe #vegetables101 #grilledvegetables
Visit our Website: http://www.kamadojoe.com
Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kamadojoe
Visit us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kamadojoe/
Visit us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kamadojoe