It is prepared on occasions and festivals. It’s a traditional sweet. Mostly it is prepared on pongal festival. It is also prepared and served as prasadam in temples. In village people prepare in pot it gives good smell and taste.
Ingredients to make Sweet Pongal:
1 cup raw rice
1/4 cup moong dhal (green gram lentil)
1 1/4 cup grated or powdered jaggery or sugar
5-6 cardamoms (powdered)
50 grms Dry fruits
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp coconut powder
Sweet Pongal Preparation Method:
1) Dry the moong dal and roast in a dry pan for a few minutes until it get into roasted brown colour. Add rice and dal in pressure cooker with water.
2) Cover with the pressure cap. Leave it for two whistles. Switch off the flame and keep it aside till the pressure goes away. Now take another pan add jaggery on a medium flame till the jaggery melts into syrup.
3) Take the boiled rice and dal lightly mash it with the spoon, mix with jaggery syrup.
Add cardamom powder and cook on a medium flame till the rice mix with jaggery. It takes around 5 to 6 minutes to cook.
4) Take pan heat ghee for a second add cashew nuts, dry fruits till it turns into golden colour. If you’re interested you can add coconut powder also.
5) Now add the fried cashews and dry to the rice and dal. Switch off the flame. Serve the sweet traditional andhra pongal hot and enjoy the delicious taste with your family.