Pulihora is a traditional dish made in south India. It is made with rice and stays up to two or three days depending on the ingredients. This is a quick recipe and you can try with left over rice too.
Ingredients to make Spicy Pulihora:
2 cups cooked Rice (each grain should be separate)
1/4 tsp teaspoon turmeric (haldi, pasupu)
3-4 tbsp oil
salt to taste
20 fresh curry leaves
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
4 tbsp tamarind extract
1 tbsp channa dal (split bengal gram)
1 tbsp urad dal (split black gram)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (aavalu)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
5 medium dry red chili
4 green chilis slit length wise
1 tsp chopped ginger
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida, inguva)
1 tbsp sesame seeds powder (nuvvulu) (optional)
Pulihora Recipe Preparation Method:
1) First we have to prepare rice. Take two cups of rice and wash thoroughly with water and soak it for five minutes. You can use any type of rice for this. Now take a rice cooker and add four to five glasses of water and add this rice and cook it for ten to fifteen minutes. Once the rice is cooked drain any water.
2) Take a pan heat 2 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds when splutters add dry red chillis, cumin seeds, channa dal, urad dal and fry till light brown in color.
3) Take some green chillies, cut them into pieces and add some asafoetida and fry them. Now add the tamarind juice in a bowl and cook till the raw smell disappears.
4) Finally add seasame seeds powder mix well and fry for 2 to 3 min.
5) Switch off the flame and remove the pan from the stove.
6) Add the fried ingredients with rice. Make sure the ingredients are mixed well.
7) You can serve hot or cold. You can add some yogurt to this and eat. It is best when you are planning to travel for two days.