Health Benefits of Banana Peel
Banana is a cheapest and most commonly available fruit, worldwide. Banana have multiple health benefits, contains three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. It also posses wide variety of vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B6, B12, A and C, Manganese, Potassium, dietary fiber, protein, iron, magnesium etc. What many people don’t know is the banana peel which is usually thrown away, has multiple health benefits too.
Here are the interesting benefits of the peel to know what they are:
1. Just collect the inner part of the peel and rub / brush (with your finger) on your teeth for a minute, daily, for a week or ten days and you will have naturally white shiny teeth without a dentist treatment.
2. The cheapest and simplest method to kill warts and stop them from reoccurring. just place a piece of banana skin on the wart, with the yellow side out, or sticking it there overnight, carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape. Repeat this for a week and you see the change, but depending on the days it was there you need to increase keeping the skin for some more days to cure the warts.
3. Getting rid of pimples is as easy as massaging banana peels on the face and body for five minutes a day, until acne disappears.
4. Rids of wrinkles: Mash banana peel and add egg yolk to it. This mixture works as a great anti-wrinkle face pack. Apply it on your face and wash it off after five minutes. Banana peels are known to keep the skin hydrated.
5. Gives pain relief: This might come as a surprise but banana peel is known to provide relief from pain. Just place the peel directly on the part that is paining and you’ll get relief in about half an hour. You can also make a mixture of banana peel and vegetable oil to apply on the pain affected area.
6. Take a banana peel and rub them on the affected skin where you experience burning due to bug bite, mosquito bites, poison ivy rashes, psoriasis patches, or itching from allergic reactions will moisturizes the place and reduces itchiness. You can also place a chilled peel on your skin for instant relief.
7. Placing the banana peel on a painful area regularly, will get relief from pain also.
8. Preparation of Vinegar: Take half kg of banana peel slices, then add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil in a ragi vessel. Take away the peels and squeeze the juice using a cheese cloth or similar and add 2 more cups of water with ¼ cup of sugar, stir regularly & boil for 15 to 20 mins on simmer flame.
Pour the liquid added with ½ tspn of baker’s yeast into an air tight glass container / jar for 10 days.
On the 11th day filter again the liquid. Then add 1 cup of vinegar and leave it for a month.
Heat the liquid for 10 to 15 mins.
Clean the jar / glass container thoroughly, drain and clean it with a pure white cloth and fill the liquid again in it and close it tightly.
Store it in a dark place and use whenever required.
9. Eating the inner white layer of the banana peel gives you extra nutrients, antioxidants and fiber. You can also boil the peel for 5 mins on medium flame and extract for juice to one glass of water added with one tbsp of honey boosts your energy level. You can also add the juice with any fruit juice. Remember to clean the banana before peeling out, in a cup of warm salt water for 5 mins to remove the pesticides on the peel.
10. Meat: Packing the flesh of the stuffed / marinated meat with the peel of banana will not make the meat from toughening or going dry, during baking or frying.
Indoor Plants: Acts as a best fertilizer for the Tomato plants. Just soak one whole banana peel in two cups of water, leave it for a night. Pour it to your tomato plant the next morning and see the difference.
Wrap the adult plant (banana plant) with some soil and covered with the banana peel around it and keep it inside some soil in a pot. As the tomato plant grows, it absorbs the nutrients from the peel and grows well giving good fruits.
Compost: Place some banana peels in a pot or waste plastic box and cover a layer of soil. Likewise prepare some layers of soil and banana peels and let it decompose for 40 days and it turns to an excellent and cheapest vermicompost for your flower and fruit plants in your garden or roof.
Poultry: You can feed the chopped banana peel for your rabbits, chicks etc,