Pesarattu upma is Indian traditional tiffin. It is most commonly tiffin for breakfast. Pesarattu is prepared with (pesalu in telugu) moong dal. It contains high source of nutrients including potassium, manganese, zinc, copper and various vitamins.
We can take this dal as sprouts in the morning. It is good for health and diet. It helps for hair growth also.
Ingredients to make Pesarattu Upma:
1 cup pesalu (whole moong dal/green lentil)
1 tbsp raw rice
1″ ginger piece
3 green chillis
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 tbsp finely chopped green chillis
2 tbsp finely chopped ginger(optional)
salt to taste
Pesarattu upma Preparation Method:
1) Soak the moong dal and rice for 24hrs. By adding rice to dal it gives crispiness to pesarattu.
2) Now add 2 green chillies, cumin seeds, and small ginger and grind it to soft batter. While grinding add water as it
required. It gives fine batter.
3) Prepare upma and keep it in another bowl.
4) Take a dosa pan and heat it. Apply oil to the heated pan. Now take the batter spread it on the pan in round shape.
5) Now take a full spoon of upma and spread the upma on the middle of the pesarratu.
6) Leave it for few seconds until it get into crispy. It gives a traditional look while it comes to serve.
7) Now take it into a plate and serve it with ginger pickle, coconut chutney or accordingly to your taste.
Variation: You can also add finely chopped Carrot, onions, green chillis before adding upma.
It is very easy and fastest breakfast to prepare.In Andhra people use eat upma with the combination of pesarattu, dosa etc.
We can prepare varieties of upmas with different types of rava.
Ingredients to make Upma:
1 cup upma rava (fine semolina, sooji, cream of wheat)
2 cups water
2 chopped onions
1 teaspoon urad dal (minapappu)
1/2 tsp spoon mustard seeds (aavalu, ria)
3 green chillies slit length wise
1″ ginger finely chopped
Ground nuts as required
10 curry leaves
salt to taste
2 medium sized chopped tomatoes (Optional)
1/3 tsp turmeric (pasupu, haldi) (Optional)
2 tbsp oil
Upma Preparation Method:
1) Select your favorite rava and fry it in a pan and keep it in separate bowl (you can use ghee to fry the which adds more taste to upma). Now chopped onions, green chillies and ginger.
2) Take a kadai and heat it. Add 2 to 3 spoons of oil and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds let them splutter for a second. Add ground nuts, urda dal, onions and fry it.
3) Now add green chillies, curry leaves and salt to it. After few minutes, add water. Keep the fire in medium flame and cover the kadai with a lid. Leave it until the water gets boiled.
4) Now you can add rava and mix it with the spoon without getting lumps. Keep it in a medium flame for few minutes.
5) Take out the lid and see whether the water is observed to rava or not.
6) If it is completely cooked finally add coriander leaves.
7) Now you can switch off the flame and serve hot.
Variation: You can add tomato and turmeric after adding onions.